Summer Short Series - June 21st

porter.corinne

The next Summer Short Series training event will be held at 4pm,
Saturday, June 21, 2008, on the University of Maryland campus in
College Park, Maryland. There no limit for the number of people to
attend this event, but if you are thinking of coming please let me
know by Saturday MORNING (if for some reason you don't make it that's
fine, I just need to know how many maps to print). To RSVP, email me
at corinne.l.porter@.... PLEASE do not reply to all on this
message. The format for the course will be a sprint in an urban-like
setting. I ran a training session on the course on Wednesday evening
and may make a few changes according to the feed back I received, but
as the course stands now it is 3.5km with 15 controls (climb has not
been calculated) The course will be marked with pink streamers with
the control code written on them – since there will be no bags hung
the streamers are longer than standard "o" streamers so that they can
be seen more easily. They are also hung at varying heights depending
upon what was available to tie them on to. Since the course is set on
a college campus getting around buildings will be your biggest
navigational challenge. Much of the course is on pavement so I
strongly recommend running in non-spiked shoes (I'm not even sure
that spikes are permitted on the campus.) Donations of $5 are
suggested and your contributions will go in support of national team
members who will travel to World Championships in the Czech Republic.

The map I used for Wednesday evening's training was a 1:5,000, but I
may print Saturday's map at 1:4,000. The map has 10ft contours. I
have not measured the climb for the course, but the campus is built
on a hill so you will have some climb to deal with. This training
exercise was designed for advanced orienteers. I kept Eddie and Jon
in mind when I designed the course, but it will be a great training
for all (and hopefully fun too!) The start/finish area will be right
in the center of the campus mall area. The course criss-crosses the
mall a few times so there will be a nice spectator component to the
sprint. All are welcome to attend a BBQ (weather permitting) at my
house following the event. I'll be keeping a close eye on the
forecast and if rain looks likely then we'll just go out somewhere in
College Park. If you plan to attend the BBQ please include that in
your email with the number of people in your party and if any one is
a vegetarian. I'll have directions to my house at the event.

Directions:
-From Captial Beltway/ I-495 take exit 25
-Follow Rt. 1/Baltimore Rd. South toward College Park (approx 2 miles)
-Turn Right on to Campus Drive at the main entrance gate onto the
campus
-Follow campus drive to the "M" rotary (0.2 miles)
-Follow the rotary around ¾ of the way to the 3rd exit onto Regent's
Drive
-Follow Regent's Drive and take a right at Chapel Dr. (0.2 miles)
-Chapel Dr dead-ends with a parking lot on either side. Park where
ever you find a space. If for some reason there are no more spaces
available (might happen if there is a wedding at the chapel) there is
more parking at Lot 1. Go back to the "M" circle and follow it around
to the 3rd exit for Campus drive and continue along Campus Dr. till
you hit the parking lot.
-The Start/Finish area will be located at the sundial at the
top/western end of the large reflecting pool in the middle of the
campus Mall (you will drive past the Mall on your right along
Regent's Dr). From the Chapel parking lots head north to hit the
Mall.

See you all on Saturday!

Corinne