Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:56 PM
Subject: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Summer Short Series schedule update

Here's an updated schedule as it stands now. There are likely to be a few more changes; they'll be sent out as I have them/closer to the dates affected.

Saturday, 12 July

     Great Falls, Maryland (Greg & Kathleen Lennon) - see info below

Saturday, 19 July

     Prince William Forest (Kris Beecroft)

Saturday, 26 July

     Rockville civic park (Dave Onkst)

Saturday, 2 August

     TBD

Saturday, 9 August

     US Champs - no training

Saturday, 16 August

     Arlington (Valerie Meyer)

Saturday, 23 August

     TBD

Saturday, 30 August

     Carderock (Peggy Dickison) OR some place further north (Ted/Eddie)

Peggy Dickison

Details for this Saturday at Great Falls, Maryland:

We will start out of the Old Angler's parking lot at the usual time of 4:pm and then have dinner after at Tally Ho in Potomac. Tally Ho is located between the Potomac Library and the Exxon gas station on Falls Rd, north of the intersection of Falls Rd and River Rd.

The course will be between 6 - 7km long with a 1:10,000 map. As an exercise, there will be NO TRAILS shown on the map, and there will be NO CONTROL BAGS. We will use the numbered deer study flags (usually 5 small red flags placed at ground level) and fences (mesh 4 x 4m enclosures with red flags placed in the center of the fenced area) as the controls. Although the park is beautiful right now and very runnable, the vegetation, mapped for winter use, is greener than the map indicates. The courses have been set to stay away from the canal path, the main roads and any place the park personnel might be - we want to be inconspicuous.

The weather for Sat looks great - keep those fingers crossed!! We look forward to seeing everyone,

Kathleen and Greg