Re: Final Details and Directions for Saturday's Event

David Onkst

Hey Dave,

I've got Dan signed up for the Short.

You can try the Long, and if you want to cut if off earlier, there is an easy way to do so--so I'll just sign you up for the long.

See you tomorrow,

Dave

From: Quantico_Orienteering_Club@... [mailto:Quantico_Orienteering_Club@...] On Behalf Of David Levine
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:19 PM
To: Quantico_Orienteering_Club@...
Subject: Re: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Final Details and Directions for Saturday's Event

Dave,

If there's any spaces left Dan Do and I would like to participate on Saturday. What's the time limit? Dan wants to do the short course I'm thinking I will too depending on the time limit. I'd rather do the long course but I'm afraid I might take a little too long.

Thanks,

Dave Levine

----- Original Message ----
To: Quantico_Orienteering_Club@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:48:25 PM
Subject: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Final Details and Directions for Saturday's Event

I’ll give you a few detailed comments about the courses in a briefing at 4PM before heading out on Saturday.

Course Lengths:

Short    3.7K     14 Controls

Long     5.9K     22 Controls

Scale 1:7,500

Directions:  From the Capital Beltway (I-495), take I-270 west. 

Take Exit 4A toward Montrose Rd. headed east. 

Before getting onto Montrose Rd. bear left to Tower Oaks Blvd.

Turn left onto Tower Oaks Blvd. 

Turn right on Wooton Pkwy.  

Going straight, this will eventually cross Rockville Pike (Rte. 355), and Viers Mill Rd. with changes in road names to 1st Street and eventually Norbeck Rd. (Rte. 28).

After seeing a golf course on your left, turn left onto Avery Rd.  

Make an immediate right and left into Mark Twain School and Park. 

BTW--There are no bathrooms or water fountains at the park, though I will have a little bit of water on the courses.

See you Saturday—please don’t forget to RSVP to me and tell me which course you plan to do.  donkst@verizon. net

Thanks,

Dave O

From: Quantico_Orienteeri ng_Club@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:Quantico_ Orienteering_ Club@yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of donkst
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:49 AM
To: Quantico_Orienteeri ng_Club@yahoogro ups.com
Subject: RE: [Quantico_Orienteer ing_Club] Summer Series this Saturday--July 26--Mark Twain School-- Rockville

PS—don’t worry, I’ll also have regular maps (for those who want them as a back-up) just in case!!!

Dave O  

From: Quantico_Orienteeri ng_Club@yahoogro ups.com [mailto: Quantico_Orienteeri ng_Club@yahoogro ups.com ] On Behalf Of donkst
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:18 AM
To: Quantico_Orienteeri ng_Club@yahoogro ups.com
Subject: [Quantico_Orienteer ing_Club] Summer Series this Saturday--July 26--Mark Twain School-- Rockville

This week’s Summer Training Series will take place at the Mark Twain School in Rockville , MD , at 4 PM, on Saturday, July 26. The suggested donation is $5 per person, which goes to the US Orienteering Team.

The training exercise will be a “Corridor-O”.  It is an intermediate to advanced exercise similar to Line-O that calls for solid map reading, compass, and pace work.  Essentially, the only things shown on the map will be the controls, their leg lines, and the leg lines’ bordering “corridors” (about 50 to 100 meters along the sides of each line between the controls depending on the features.)  The training exercise is a lot of fun and really helps you build several key skills.

As of this point, I plan to offer two courses—a Short and a Long.

The Short will be approximately 3.8 to 4 K in length.

The Long will be approximately 5.7 to 6 K in length.

Oh, and did I mention that all of this will take place on a NEW MAP.  Yes we’ve run on the Mark Twain School map in some past summer series, but this is a new section that will take you up near Lake Frank thanks to all the hard work of Nadim Ahmed, mapper extraordinaire.

As always, the event will be low-key. We plan to go to dinner afterward.  Right now, it looks like California Tortilla will be our gathering spot.

Please RSVP to me for this event ASAP (no later than Friday morning so that I can prepare the maps).  I’m capping it off at 25 people--so contact me right away to let me know you are coming.

Directions to the event will follow later in the week.

Thanks and I hope to see you this Saturday.

Dave O

Join main@QOC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.