From: Peggy Dickison [mailto:pdickison@...]
Sent:
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:09 PM
To: 'Quantico_Orienteering_Club@...'; 'francish'; 'drjames@...'; 'scott.holleman@...'; 'Louis E. Bergeron'; 'glen_schorr@...'
Subject: Final Summer Short Series event of 2009!

The last scheduled Summer Short Series event of the year will take place this Saturday, 29 August 2009, at Glendening Preserve (part of Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary) in Bristol, Maryland.

The gate will be unlocked by 3 p.m. Mass start at 4 p.m.

The training will be an individual Motala (think: Beer Chase without the beer … unless you want to bring your own and practice J). There will be three short loops; everyone will do them in the same order. You may choose to run only two loops (or, hey, only one if you’d really like). The distances are to be determined. E-punching is not planned. I also do not plan to have separate control description sheets. This will be training for relays and other events that have mass starts with no control descriptions in advance.

We have only used this area twice before, both times for SSS events. We did not use it last year. The woods tend to be pleasant, with gentle contours (the majority of the map is rather flat, with some steeper contours along the edges). There are two areas of mixed open/pine thickets that are quite fun to navigate through.

Map scale is 1:5000. Five meter contour intervals. Fieldchecking and drafting are by Dave Linthicum in 2006.

Control descriptions will be on the map.

Please let me know by Friday evening (8 p.m.; I’m an early-to-bed person!) if you’re planning on attending so I can have enough maps printed up. I’ll bring some map cases, but you may want to bring your own anyway. Water will be at the start/map exchange only.

Directions: Maryland Rt 4 East into Anne Arundel County. Exit at Plummer Lane, second exit after crossing the Patuxent River into AA County. Take the second right turn on Plummer Lane into the Preserve. This comes up very fast, with the service road first and the entrance road right after it. Park at the end of the dirt road by the buildings. There are no toilets available.

Dinner will follow for those of us interested. There’s not much in the vicinity; we may head up to Bowie for a wide range of choices.

As always, the cost is a $5 minimum donation, all of which goes directly to the US Team to help fund their training and international competition. Tax deductible, of course.

I hope to see a lot of you on Saturday!

Peggy Dickison

Summer Series Mistress