From: "Ted Good" <tedgood@...>
Date: August 20, 2018 at 9:00:41 PM EDT
To: "'Peggy Dickison'" <pdickison@...>, <nadim@...>, <nedrenner@...>, <dabearsnic@...>, <pattilightie@...>, <phession@...>, <pnelsonbus@...>, <ambull01@...>, <richjules@...>, <slistwak@...>, <scott.sharp1@...>, <shane055@...>, <sidneysachs@...>, <scamp72377@...>, <strat@...>, <tom@...>, <tom@...>, <tomwells@...>, <tldougherty@...>, <travis.green@...>, <pstrat57@...>, <turner.leigh3@...>, <videlin.aleksiev@...>, <VMeyer9086@...>, <wppreston@...>, <sean.szymanski@...>, <joshuas0125@...>, <egbreton@...>, <wahubsch@...>, <sfmones@...>, <micheal.laraia@...>, <renycole@...>, <John.decuir@...>, <lichungliu@...>, <davidsupleyfoxworth@...>, <someara@...>
Subject: 2nd: Reminder to register: SQUIRRELNADO Summer Series: Saturday, Aug 25th

2nd announcement for Coming Saturday event.  I added the short mountain bike course.  A few updates in the notes below.  Let me know if you have questions.

Saturday Aug 25th ,2018 SquirrelNADO Summer Series

            Event Mass Start 3:30pm.  Finish time 6:30pm

RSVP: email tedgood@... if you plan to attend.

      Please RSVP by 9:00 pm Thursday Aug 23 (sooner is better as specialty supplies and food have to be acquired).

    Entry Form:

         Name:

         SquirrelNado Sprint Events (Y/N):

         Post race food (Y/N):

         Prize Exchange: (Y/N):

     The Squirrel event series is in its 17th year of the summer series.   Come celebrate a whirlwind of park events at this year’s SquirrelNADO (like SharkNado but with Squirrels).  It will be part sprint, part score, part rogaine, part car, and all fun.  There are numerous areas nearby the Severn, MD area that have been mapped (some brand new areas).  Most are small local parks or technology areas.  Each area will have one or more courses in it. Each course is a sprint type course.  Controls should be done in order but you can skip controls if needed (See Scoring).  This is a multi-map chance to practice whatever you want.  Focus on certain type of event, or try them all and gets lots of exercise.  You have 3 hours to get as much done as you can/want.  Which parks you go to is up to you.  Who you travel with is up to you.  Whether you run, bike, roller blade, or pogo stick each course is up to you. Although some courses are more suitable for certain methods.  Just bring a watch so you can measure your time for each course.

     As usual we will end at the home of Ted and Darcy Good for the make your own pizza party, and social time.

Location & Schedule:

     2:30-3:25 registration

           Matthewstown Harmons Park

7605 Ridge Chapel Road,

Hanover, MD 21076

     3:30 Mass Start: field/parking lot sprint.

     4:30-5:00:Late arrivals Registration/Start time: same location as above.

     6:30:  Courses close.

     Finish: Home of Ted and Darcy Good (We have cats for those with allergies)

            1713 Prairie Court

            Severn, Maryland 21144

Cost:

     Minimum of $5.00 but I expect more donations as you get so much more from this event: food, games, multiple orienteering, awards, preprinted maps……  It will cost more than $5 just to print all the maps.  All money goes to the U.S. team so dig deep into those pockets.

SquirrelNADO Park Tour Rules:

     We will meet at Matthewstown Harmans Park for the 3:30 mass start.  The event will end at Good’s house hold.

     There are many mapped areas.  Several of the parks touch each other so it is possible to run/bike from one to another.  Other parks will require driving to get to.

      Who travels in what car is entirely up to you (see award scoring).

      Cars are required to follow ALL traffic rules.  Any car getting a ticket will forfeit all points.  Cars are required to park in one spot per map.  I.E. you can’t drive along dropping off people.  Cars must park before dropping off or picking up people.

      There is no guarantee there will be parking in the lots.  I have no idea how busy the parks will be.  Some areas are heavily used, others much less so.

     Courses must be done in control order but you can skip controls.  For example, you can do control 1-4,7,10,11.  Your time on each course is important but only if you do all the controls.  Courses/maps can be done in any order.  As the maps overlap, you can get score controls while on a sprint course.

     Bikes Courses: 2 bike courses where road bikes are fine.  One course Mountain bikes where the trails are Gnarly and not in good condition (sandy, marshy, sticks).   Road Courses are road/paved trails.  Road Bike courses can be done in either direction as the start is not near the finish.  Bikes can be used on the field sprint courses but mountain bikes would be better suited for that.   Bikers need helmets.

      For all courses, you are required to touch the control.  I will have squirrels watching to make sure everyone does.

     Course distances range from 180m to 10K.  Most field and wood sprint courses are 1-2K each.  Bike courses are longer.  If you try to get them all there are 116 controls and  28K (Hmmm, I wonder how I am going to get them all hung in time? I did 9 tonight.)

Each car will get:

  • road overview of the area of all the parks.  Few road names on the map.  There will also be a description (information below) of the courses and maps.  I recommend a GPS in order to find the parks.  I plan to email the course information out ahead of time so you can prepare GPS ahead of time.  Park addresses will be provided.
  • Score sheet to mark how many controls, or the time on each course if you get them all.

Park information:

  • Course Types include: Field, Woods, Bike
  • Course Lengths.
  • Mode: Foot and/or Bike (mountain bike)
  • # Controls
  • Map Scale (1,2,500 or 1:5,000 or 1:10,000)
  • Control Type: what you are looking for (control, streamer, orange flag).
  • Map Address: so you can GPS it to get to it.
  • Parking information: In a parking lot or along the road
  • On separate sheets there will Map/course notes for each course.

Each Individual will get

  • A copy of each map and clue descriptions
  • Two map cases (one to hold all the maps and one to run with).
  • Orienteering Quiz
  • Orienteering activities:

Scoring:

     You get points for each course you do.  Everyone will need to keep track of their own course time (or the number of controls done) and write that on the score sheet.  When done turn the score sheets into the event coordinator.

     Scoring will be a percentage of the fastest time on each course.  Score = fastest time/your time * 100 = your points for each maps.

      If controls are skipped during a course, you get a percentage of the last place time.  For example if there are 10 controls on a course and you get 6 of them, then you will get 60% of score of whomever the last person to get all the controls.  So if the last placed finisher got 50%, you would get 30 points (50 x 0.6).  If no one finished all the controls then whoever had the most controls will get 100 points and other a percentage of that.

     There will also be various other activities that can generate points.

     Whoever has the most points wins.  Points determine prize selection order.

Awards:

     Once again, there will be awesome prizes awarded (must be present at ceremony to receive awards).  Awards will be determined based on points from orienteering and other activities.  Awards are only for those that actually orienteer.  To get an award: competitors must get a minimum of 3 controls.  There will only be one award per competitor.  Awards will be awarded until there are no more awards left or everyone has one.

     Decisions (and mistakes) of the judges are final.

     Again this year you can bring an award to exchange/swap.  Bringing an award is totally optional.  If you have suitable type merchandise you want to get rid of you can bring it with the following conditions:

  1. Only allowed to bring one item per competitor (no exceptions)
  2. You must identify what you brought.
  3. If no one selects your prize then you must take it home with you.  No leaving it behind.

MISC:

     You will need your own watch for timing on each course.

     No speeding on the roads (that part isn’t a race).

     I recommend bringing towels/plastic for the car as you hop between parks.

     There are numerous slupee/icee locations around the parks (some on the map).

     We don’t have any permits.  Be respectful of the parks and any other patrons of the parks.

     I will be roaming the parks with drinks but may not be in the park when you need it so bring your own.

Post Orienteering: Food and Events:

     The post orienteering food will again be ‘pizza’.  We will provide the pizza.  You don’t need to bring anything unless you have special dietary needs. We will also have other foods available (foods TBD but probably chips/desserts of some sort).  Common sodas will be provided.  Bring your own alcohol.

     Those wishing to stay for post food MUST BRING a Change of CLOTHING (and use them) in order to gain access to the house.  No icky clothes in the main part of the house (especially if you were in the woods).  If you plan to eat you must also let us know so we can get enough food (see line on entry form).  Showers/Towels will again be available (and recommended) for competitors.

      There is usually at least one post orienteering activity.  It is voluntary to participate but they do generate points towards awards.

FINISH DIRECTIONS:  There won’t be anyone there during the event.

    The event is in Severn Md. About 1/2 way between DC and Baltimore.

     To the finish area:

   - Take the BW Parkway to Rt 175.  Go east on Rt 175 for  ~ 1.3 miles.

     Go past the shopping center on the right.

   - Turn left onto Disney Rd.  There is a Stop light at Disney and a CVS pharmacy on the left.

   - Go 3/4 of a mile and turn right on Frontier Rd.

   - Make the first right on Prairie Court.

   - Go to the circle part of the court.  Park along Prairie Court.  DO NOT PARK ON THE GRASS.

ADDRESS:

1713 Prairie Court

Severn, Maryland,

410-551-4838 (h)

Recommended things to bring:

GPS, Towels, Orienteering Gear, Beverages for between events, Bug Spray, suntan lotion.  Watch, Bike/Helment,  MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

Map Notes:

Maps made from Google Earth and then field checked.  Contours are from Anne Arundel County data (converted into a format I could use by Greg Lennon).  Sprint Maps are 1:5,000.  Bike maps are 1:15,000.  Contours are 1m or 3 meter.   Parks are generally pretty flat.

Black circles denote Playing field lights.  Parking lot lights are not on the map.  Most maps use sprint map symbols but some of the older ones are classic maps.

Critters: The Ball field areas are chigger/tick free.  The dirt trails in the woods or overgrown fields may have chiggers and ticks.  If you are in the woods you Will GET CHIGGERS (see individual map notes).    There is always a chance of ticks so check yourself. Bug spray still highly recommended.  I will have Duct Tape available to help dechigger for anyone brave enough.

Poison Ivy: There is a little bit in the woods but shouldn’t be a problem.

Bathrooms: Most of the parks have bathrooms or portajohns that you can see from the parking area.  I can’t speak to their condition or if they have toilet paper.

          Ted Good

          Squirrel Summer Series Coordinator.