Summer Short Series, 2005

Peggy Dickison

It is time to begin planning our schedule for the ninth annual Summer Short Series. For those of you who are new to the club, the Summer Short Series (SSS) is a bunch of low-key, fun training events for intermediate to advanced orienteers. There is a significant social aspect to the events, as we generally go out to eat together after running. The emphasis is on short and fun. Events will take place between 4 June and 3 September.

Events will take place on Saturday evenings, with a suggested start time of 6 pm. Adjustments to this time & day will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.

Given this year’s national emphasis on Sprint events, I’d like to encourage SSS Hosts to consider putting on a Sprint. David Onkst and Ted Good hosted successful Sprints last year; you can contact them for information, or see http://www.cox-internet.com/jimhug/Sprint_O.html for some helpful hints; see also Peter Gagarin’s sprint page, http://users.crocker.com/%7Epg/team/sprintschedule.html. I’d like to see at least three Sprints this summer counting toward the national Sprint Series. In order for this to happen, please let me know as soon as you can that you will host an event, on what date, and when. I will contact Peter Gagarin, the self-appointed Commissioner of the Sprint Series. This must be done at least 20 days in advance of the event in order to be a point-earning event. Points are awarded to the top place-getters (I would guess all participants in our races would earn points as we won’t have huge crowds) and get included in the standings (see Peter’s page).

We have a new map to use – the Parris Glendenning area at Route 4 and the Patuxent River – which would be good for a Sprint. If you’d like to host at that location, just let me know. We need some time to get the permission but it shouldn’t be a problem. (Dave Linthicum, davelinthicum@..., made the map and can answer your questions about the terrain and access.)

Other training events are welcome, of course.

Dates to keep in mind when scheduling your event:

Sun, 5 June       Beer Chase, MD

25-26 June        CNYO Rogaine, NY

2-3  July            Independence Day weekend

16-17 July         Canadian O’ Champs, BC

23-24 July         World Masters O’ Champs, Alberta, CAN

6-7 August        Rocky Mtn 5-Day, CO

13-14 August     World O’ Champs, Japan

20-21 August     WCOC Rogaine, CT; PNWOF Western States meet, WA

27-28 August     US O’ Champs, OR

3-4 September   Labor Day weekend; Sun, 4 Sept: DVOA Long (club) Champs

Also, check the QOC website for other local & regional club events that you may attend. Please don’t sign up to host if you think you’ll be out of town!

The sooner you let me know your hosting preferences, the better your chance of getting your requested day! Don’t delay; let’s get the schedule set up quickly.

Thanks –

Peggy

SSS Mistress