Summer Short Series schedule update

Peggy Dickison

Here’s an updated schedule as it stands now. There are likely to be a few more changes; they’ll be sent out as I have them/closer to the dates affected.

Saturday, 12 July

     Great Falls, Maryland (Greg & Kathleen Lennon) – see info below

Saturday, 19 July

     Prince William Forest (Kris Beecroft)

Saturday, 26 July

     Rockville civic park (Dave Onkst)

Saturday, 2 August

     TBD

Saturday, 9 August

     US Champs – no training

Saturday, 16 August

     Arlington (Valerie Meyer)

Saturday, 23 August

     TBD

Saturday, 30 August

     Carderock (Peggy Dickison) OR some place further north (Ted/Eddie)

Peggy Dickison

Details for this Saturday at Great Falls, Maryland:

We will start out of the Old Angler's parking lot at the usual time of 4:pm and then have dinner after at Tally Ho in Potomac. Tally Ho is located between the Potomac Library and the Exxon gas station on Falls Rd, north of the intersection of Falls Rd and River Rd.

The course will be between 6 - 7km long with a 1:10,000 map. As an exercise, there will be NO TRAILS shown on the map, and there will be NO CONTROL BAGS. We will use the numbered deer study flags (usually 5 small red flags placed at ground level) and fences (mesh 4 x 4m enclosures with red flags placed in the center of the fenced area) as the controls. Although the park is beautiful right now and very runnable, the vegetation, mapped for winter use, is greener than the map indicates. The courses have been set to stay away from the canal path, the main roads and any place the park personnel might be - we want to be inconspicuous.

The weather for Sat looks great - keep those fingers crossed!! We look forward to seeing everyone,

Kathleen and Greg

kharrison223

I am getting ready for my Summer Short Series event this Saturday. We'll be starting from the Telegraph Road parking area at 4:00 p.m. To get to the Telegraph Road lot, drive towards the Visitor's Center and turn right just before the Center. This will take you to the parking lot. There is a bathroom there.  Don't forget there is a $5 fee to get in to the park if you don't have some sort of park pass.

The woods are definitely thickish thanks to all of the rain this spring and summer, and the spider webs are abundant. I haven't had too much trouble with ticks this year, but I've also been liberal with the bug spray. Quantico Creek should be crossable in all of the places mapped as crossable. The suspension bridge, which had been closed for a while, is now open again, with a "one person at a time" load limit.

I was originally going to try to have a picnic afterwards, but the weather looks iffy enough that I think we should stick with a restaurant. There aren't too many options, but I'll scout something out this week. There are some newer shopping centers north on Rt. 1 that might have something interesting.

Kris

[...]

mmorienteer

Hey Kris,

Excellent!!  Patti and I will be there.  See you on Sat..

Go orienteering!
mm

[...]

Just a few more things:

1. There will be e-punching.

2. The Telegraph Rd. parking lot is one we seldom use. You still want to come through the main entrance off Rt. 619, but instead of turning left towards the Scenic loop or left in to the front parking lot, you will be turning right, just before the Visitor's Center. There is a sign there saying "Telegraph Rd. Picnic Area."

Kris