Topics

Course Setter Training Opportunity

Greg Lennon

Distributed on behalf of Charles Carrick (QOC's VP/VA), intended primarily - but probably not exclusively - to QOC orienteers in Virginia:

I mentioned at the Bumble/winter meeting in February that I would be sending out an email to solicit interest in learning how to design and set orienteering courses for QOC, so here it is.

Course design/setting is a fun way to spend a little more time out in the woods, improve your own skills, and help the club at the same time.  QOC has an expansive event schedule running from September through early June.  By the end of this season, we will have completed thirteen local meets in Virginia alone.  We are able to enjoy all these events, because so many of you are willing to volunteer at our meets for registration, beginner training and control pick-up.  Learning to set courses takes a little more training and preparation, but it's very enjoyable in its own right, as I discovered in my first stint as a course setter at Occoquan back in September.

Inevitably, we need to be able to replace our course setters who move out of the area, and it has sometimes been a challenge in the last few years to fill all the course-setter slots.  This past season, under the direction of QOC's Chief Mapper, Francis Hogle, who has led the club's training effort for many years, we were able to train several new Virginia course setters, but it's necessary to sustain that success by ensuring a trickle of new course setters in the years ahead, so we can continue to enjoy a robust QOC event schedule.

With all that in mind, I am happy to offer a short training course on an annual or near-annual basis targeted for 2-3 members at a time who would like to learn to design and set courses for the club in the future.  The first iteration of the course is planned for the 2019-2020 season in the October-November time frame.

Our own Andrew Komm, who has designed numerous national-level courses, will be the chief course designer/setter and lead the training.   You'll work with him, learning how to design and set the courses in a hands-on, small-group environment during the October-November period when the woods of Northern Virginia are at their most beautiful and the weather typically at its best.  The training will involve a few instructional sessions spread over several weeks scheduled at times convenient for those involved and time in the woods creating the course for one of our events.  It should be both fun and rewarding.

You don't need to commit to anything for next season at this point.  I am looking only to identify folks who have a general interest in learning about designing orienteering courses.  Later this spring/early summer, when we have finalized our schedule for next season, we can see who would be available for the training in the 2019-20 season and then keep those others who are interested in mind for future seasons.

So by all means contact me by phone, text, email or the club messaging system if you are interested or have questions.  My cell/text number is 786-269-5030 and my email is ccarrick64@... or you can email me using the club's internal email by finding me in the club directory.   And thanks again for everything you are already doing for the club,

Charles

Charles Carrick

QOC VP for Virginia

Chris Rumohr

Hi Greg - I am interested.  :)

Chris (Rumohr) Webster / (703) 855-6047

VOLUNTEER FF(P) / FFT2 / FFT1(T) FAL3(T) / HECM(T) / WFA / ICS 400 / VDEM STM

·      State and Federal Wildland Firefighter

·      NWS-NOAA Storm Tracker

·      Volunteer - Great Falls Volunteer Fire & Rescue

·      Volunteer - Virginia Dept. of Emergency Management Search & Rescue

·      Volunteer - Shenandoah Mountain Search & Rescue Group

·      Volunteer - Team Rubicon (Region III) Disaster Relief & Wildland Fire

·      Volunteer - The Nature Conservancy (Virginia) Wildland Fire & Prescribed Burns

·      Board Member - FACETS (Fairfax Area Community Emergency Transitional Services)

·      Board Chair - Northern Virginia Community College, Paralegal Degree Associate Degree Program