Topics

FUMA event this Sunday

Jon <djon@planet-save.com> <djon@...>

FUMA is forging boldly ahead with their meet this coming Sunday. As
Tom mentioned earlier, it is a considerable distance for many of us (I
believe I distributed directions last week) but it's also quite a
scenic drive with possibilities for visiting other attractions en
route - potentially quite a nice day trip. I've appended a version of
FUMA's meet notes cut down to matters that seem germane to the
individual orienteer. I wish particularly to draw attention to the
flat $2 fee per map regardless of membership status, to the 10 am to 1
pm start window, and to the advisability of pre-registering today to
get a pre-printed map.

Also, conditions are all but certain to be muddy even if it doesn't
rain later in the week. However, there should be showers available
for both genders. Take my word that the immediate apres-orienteering
hot shower is the sine qua non of luxury. My recollection is that
metal spikes were banned from the Estes Center last year. Please
respect the same ban this year. I hope to see many people there -
last year's event was very well run. Now on to the meet notes.

1. GENERAL. Fork Union Military Academy will host the The Second
Annual Fork Union Military Academy Orienteering meet. In conjunction
with this meet will be the first Fork Union Military Academy
Scholastic Orienteering Invitational. The meet will be held on
Sunday, 23 February, 2003. Maps that will be used are the six color
international standard maps similar to those used by the Quantico
Orienteering Club (QOC) for national Class "A" events. Courses will
be designed, set, and checked by Mike Brooks (of QOC) and the FUMA
orienteering team.

2. SPECIAL FEATURES FOR THIS YEAR.

Entry fee is $2 per map. Pre-registration by Wednesday, 19 February,
will hold a pre-printed map for the competitor. Registrants competing
for the interscholastic invitational are asked to give a number of
attendees by Wednesday, 19 February for map printing and planning
purposes.

For safety reasons, all participants should have a compass, watch, and
whistle with them when they run any orienteering course.

There will be a full slate of courses from White (novice) through Blue
(advanced).

A. REGISTRATION. It is recommended that all participants
preregister via e-mail to secure a preprinted map. Scholastic teams
must reserve their spot via e-mail. No pre-payment is necessary.
Payment will be done on site.

As soon as possible, E mail the following information to Carl Muench
at MUENCHC@...

Individual Competitors:

1) Name (If you are bringing additional family members, please
list their names and courses also):

2) Course you desire to run

3) Expected total payment

H. INCLEMENT WEATHER PLANS. The meet will be postponed only for a
severe storm or snow. Heat, cold, rain, and wind are considered
merely nuisances. We look forward to a competitive meet, enjoying the
great outdoors and having an outstanding time.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

DO NOT ARRIVE AT FUMA BEFORE O930! WE WILL NOT BE READY TO RECEIVE YOU
UNTIL 0930 AT THE EARLIEST!

930-1300 Registration and payment begins.

1000-1300 Competitors may start on courses as space allows

upon arrival TEAM COMMANDER BRIEF

1300 Sabre Shop (FUMA fast food-burgers/fries/pizza) opens

1500 (APPROXIMATELY) AWARDS CEREMONY

What Each Orienteer Needs to Bring

Watch

Whistle

Compass

Money for food from Sabre Shop

Clothes suitable for orienteering and the weather

Hats, gloves, warm clothing, and gators are highly recommended.
Competitors should also consider bringing dry clothing to change into.