Topics

Great Falls orienteering event is cancelled

Jon <djon@planet-save.com> <djon@...>

(Ed. I don't know why Tom's post hasn't shown up in my inbox yet so
I'm reposting it forthwith.)

The QOC orienteering event scheduled for Sunday at Great Falls, MD
has been cancelled due to the weather: 5-12 inches of snow forecast,
extremely cold temperatures, and the possiblity of an ice storm.

While these weather conditions are not enough to deter many of us
from running through the woods in search of control flags, the bigger
problems are driving conditions and parking. We planned to use the
VFW hall as our staging area -- they do not plow their parking lot --
and the lot in the park is unreasonably far.

Orienteering is supposed to be fun, and it is not going to be fun
tomorrow.

So stay home, build a snowman, drink some hot chocolate, and make
plans to attend the O meet next Sunday, Feb 23, at Fork Union
Military Academy. FUMA is a 2-hour drive from DC, but make a day of
it, enjoy the drive through the snow-covered hills of Virginia,
orienteer on the IOF-standard map of the forests surrounding the FUMA
campus, and take in some of the scenic attractions on the way home.
(Ever been to Montpelier?)

--Tom Strat