Topics

Great Falls this Sunday

Jon <djon@planet-save.com> <djon@...>

QOC will hold an orienteering event this Sunday, February 16, 2003
with starts offered from 11 am to 1 pm at Great Falls, MD. The
universe will have meet director, Catherine Dunn, course setter,
Peter
Thompson and mysterious unnamed volunteers to thank for this
felicitous occurrence. Parking and starts will be at the VFW hall so
heated washrooms/change areas should be available.

Looking forward, consulting the more detailed information than I have
yet broadcast about the FUMA event the following Sunday (now posted
on
QOC's web site) might be helpful, particularly for anyone planning on
attending the event with a school team. I expect to excerpt and
broadcast those portions relevant to individual competitors shortly.

Directions(for this Sunday): From I-495 exit 41 (Clara Barton
Parkway), go away from Washington. At the end of the Parkway, turn
left onto MacArthur Blvd. Continue past the Old Angler's Inn. Follow
the road around the park to the main entrance at the end of the road.
About 1/2 mile down this road on the right is the VFW Hall.

Course Setter's Notes

Welcome to Great Falls, the woods are open and fast.Although the map
is old it is very accurate with the notable exception of the trail
network.There are many new trails not marked on the map and some old
trails that have faded into the woods. I have tried to avoid these on
the beginners courses but it did limit my choices for the
course.Please take care crossing the road and remember to report back
to the finish even if you did not complete the course or we will
assume you are still out in the woods and go looking for you at the
end of the day.

White 2.6 km 70m climb

The white course is suitable for beginners. Watch out for the old
mine
workings!

Yellow 2.9km 80m climb

The Yellow course shares two controls with the White course but is
designed to invite you off the trails should you feel adventurous.

Orange 3.3km 100m climb

This is an intermediate level course.The controls are harder to find
but if you miss them you should soon cross a major feature such as a
trail.

Brown 3.6km 200m climb

The Brown course is designed for experienced orienteers and
definitely
not suitable for beginners!

Green 4.6km 250m climb

This is an advanced level course.

Red 6.1km 300m climb

Due to the fact that Bear Island is still off limits I found it
difficult to design a meaningful Blue course. Please note the Green
and Brown share many controls with the Red course so if this course
is
not long enough then take a jog down the tow path.

I hope you enjoy the courses, it has been fun to be back in the woods
after a long absence, but due to work commitments I will not be able
to be there on the day. I hope the weather is kind.

Peter Thompson

Don Davis

Just one caution, well two: The VFW parking lot is not plowed when it snows,
so we'll have to deal with that eventuality. Don't plan on the hall to be
comfortably heated!
Don Davis