Topics

Orienteer at Occoquan Park This Saturday

Greg Lennon

With the sun back out for the next few days, enjoy orienteering this Saturday Dec. 5 at Occoquan Regional Park! Just show up at the event between 10:45 - 1:15 to register, start any time between 11 - 1:30, and be back no later than 3pm.

Course setter Sid Sachs has designed 8 courses, and all details are on the event webpage. It's always a good idea to read the course setter's comments, and this event is no exception ... for example, Red and Blue course runners will learn that their maps are double-sided.

Event Director Mark Becker is also pleased to be that this event will include a competition between two teams that are classic rivals, just before their football game ... yes, it's Army vs Navy, orienteering style!

The event overall is just as beginner- and family-friendly as ever though, especially given the relatively small size of this park and the open nature of the area near our pavilion, so we expect a good time will be had by all levels of orienteers.

And last but not least, due to road closures, we are recommending using Exit 160 off of I-95 to get to Occoquan Park this Saturday; driving directions are online on the event webpage, so make sure to check them out if in doubt about your route.