Topics

Orienteer - on Bike or on Foot - This Sunday at Lake Accotink

Greg Lennon

Plan to orienteer this Sunday, Sept. 23 at Lake Accotink Park (near Springfield, VA), where we hope to offer both mountain bike orienteering courses (weather permitting) and foot orienteering courses (rain or shine).

If the weather is reasonable, the start window for the bike (MTBO) courses will be from 8:30-10am. The start window for the foot courses will be our standard 11am - 1:30pm (with courses closing at 3pm).

Speaking of the foot courses, in addition to classic point-to-point white, yellow, and orange courses, we will debut a special Score-O type of course for advanced (and adventurous intermediate) orienteers, the Thomass event. A Thomass course features a single score-O window, in which everyone has their own handicap based on age/gender/experience, entitling them to skip a certain number of controls. For this event, an (optional) mass start will be offered at noon, with a 11:50am meetup for map distribution and pre-race briefing.

There are plenty more event details as well as driving directions to the McLaren-Sargent Pavilion registration area on the event webpage, so check that page out and plan to have a great time at Lake Accotink this Sunday!