From: Jeffrey Haskell [mailto:JHaskell@...]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 9:49 AM
To: strat@...
Subject: QOC

Tom,
My apologies for directing this note to your personal address, but yahoo
couldn't find the name you gave us in the newsletter.
The name has great personal attachment for me because my brother Mike was
one of the initial members of the QOC in the mid 70's. Some of the current
members of the club worked with Mike (Sid, Don and Merit Davis) to keep the
club moving along back then. I'd like to keep their efforts in mind as we
move along ourselves by keeping the name.
There may be something to the confusion of having the name Quantico in the
name, but I don't believe this plays a part in out inability to attract new
players.
Orienteering is about running around the woods semi-lost in all kinds of
weather, and I believe the nature of our sport is the main reason we don't
have people knocking down our door. Orienteering is an acquired taste, a
specific demographic, that is tough to see in the average person walking
down the street.
Over the last 5 years I have invited over 30 people to join me for an O
meet, and all I have to show for it is Dwight Johnson.
If all you're doing is counting votes, I vote to keep the current name.
Thanks for asking for input regarding this issue.
Jeff

Van Anthony <vananthony@...>

Tom et. al.

What Jeff said.

Marmie and I have been watching this debate from the sidelines. We've
been listening (and not talking) because you have some very smart and
articulate people giving this a lot of thought, and we've had nothing to
offer but our opinions. But it sounds like we're getting to the point where
we've heard what people have to say and now its time to get a "sense of the
community." Marmie and I vote "no" for a name change. For whatever reason,
we like the name QOC, aka, the Quantico Orienteering Club. We haven't been
as prolific as Jeff in dragging people out to meets, so I say our success
rate is along the lines of 0:6 When we describe this sport to friends they
tell us how cool it sounds, but don't call us, we'll call you. The 6 we've
taken out thanked us for a great time but were not at all enthusiastic about
doing it again. So as we see it, a name change would have small "costs" to
us (we like the current name and dislike the alternatives) but would have no
"benefits". Like Jeff, we simply remain unpersuaded that the size of the
club today is in any measurable sense smaller than the club that would have
existed if we had gone under the name "National Capital Orienteers" for the
last 10 years.

Best.

Van (and Marmie)