Topics

QOC event/annual winter meeting this Sunday

Jon <djon@planet-save.com> <djon@...>

QOC's next event will be held this Sunday, February 2, 2003 with
registration from 11 am to 1 pm at Little Bennett Regional Park, MD.

The meet directors will be Wayne and Rima Pavalko. The course setter
will be Sam Listwak. The event will be followed by a potluck picnic
during which we'll also hold QOC's mid-season winter meeting.

Directions: From I-270 exit 18, head east on Clarksburg Road.
Orienteering signage is likely to start at the intersection with route
355, on which you'll turn north towards the park.

Course Setter's Notes (annual meeting info follows these notes)

LITTLE BENNETT

February 2, 2002

Initially, my plan was to re-run the U.S. Championship courses that
were designed by Sid Sachs and held in 1988 at Little Bennett Park.
Yes, believe it or not, the Little Bennett map rated the second day of
the U.S. Championships. I thought it would be fun for today's
generation of younger orienteers to compare their times on these
courses to those of an older generation of runners (And for those of
you who are still in the club from those times, to compare yourself to
a younger you. Sort of like the Michael Jordan commercial where he
plays himself one on one.) Since the memory of the U.S. Championship
that was held in the fall at Prince William Forest is still relatively
fresh, it would also be nice to contrast that map and terrain with
that of Little Bennett. One then gets a much better appreciation of
how wonderful that map and terrain is for orienteering. However,
Mother Nature conspired against me. As I was out in the park merrily
checking and streaming control locations, I discovered that the bridge
crossing Little Bennett creek, the one that the Green, Red and Blue
courses need to cross over a particularly deep part of the stream, had
been washed away. Not good, nor fair. It's February, being wet up to
your thighs is not fun. So the re-run will have to wait for another
time.

The usual warnings apply to the park. The green can range from
annoying slash where one needs to weave in and out of downed trees to
blood thirsty hanging thorn bushes to nearly impenetrable briars to
merely thickets of saplings. All courses, Orange and above, will
experience some degree of these barriers. They may alter route choice,
but if one wishes, they can get through these areas. It's called the
Little Bennett experience, not to be confused with the much more
intense Greenbelt experience, since all intermediate and advanced
courses will experience areas of fast clear running through open
wooded areas. There are remnants of barbed wire fences that may or may
not be clearly marked on the maps, be careful. None of the courses
will cross Little Bennett Creek, nor will they cross or use Route 121
as a route choice. So if you find yourself attempting to cross either,
take a look at your map again.

Here are the Courses:

White 2.6 km 40 m climb

Yellow 3.3 km 80 m climb

Orange 4.6 km 120 m climb

Brown 4.6 km 140 m climb

Green 5.5 km 180 m climb

Red 7.8 km 260 m climb

Blue 9.4 km 340 m climb

Disclaimer: the course setter reserves the right to make last minute
alterations on course length and climb based on phase of the moon,
horoscope or just plain bad control location or choice (the "What was
I thinking" excuse). Registration and the Master Maps (sorry, no
pre-marked maps, blame Mother Nature) will be located at the Nature
Center. The Start will be approximately 300 m from the Nature Center
at a bend in one of the campground loops.

As always, enjoy. Samuel J. Listwak

AFTER ENJOYING SAM LISTWAK'S COURSES, PLEASE JOIN US FOR A PICNIC IN
THE (to be perfectly clear, heated) NATURE CENTER!!!

FOOD AND FESTIVITIES BEGIN AT 2PM

Hear about QOC's activities from the Board, meet new members,
reconnect with old friends, review your route choices with others, and
help us thank our meet directors and course setters of the first half
of the season!

PLEASE BRING YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH FOOD TO SHARE (utensils for your
personal use might be good too). QOC will provide drinks and paper
goods.  Sorry, no grill available.  That will have to wait until The
Chase.

COURSE START TIMES: 11:00AM TO 1:00PM

BE SURE TO GET YOUR RUN IN EARLY SO THAT YOU CAN SHARE IN THE FUN!