Registration Now Open For QOC MapRun (GPS-based) Event

Greg Lennon

Starting today and running for three weeks (through Saturday, April 10), QOC and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission are pleased to announce a GPS Orienteering Event. This event takes place in the Swanson Road Natural Area (Upper Marlboro, MD), and is organized by Event Director Craig Shelden with course setting by Mike and Pam Dvorsky.

This distributed (some would say 'virtual') GPS-based orienteering event requires online pre-registration, and we will be limiting the total number of starts (group or individual) to a maximum of 20 per day. It also requires the use on your smartphone of the MapRun app, downloadable from the Google Play or Apple App stores.

Once registered for a given day, choose from among eight courses (white through blue; 2 beginner, 1 intermediate, and 5 advanced). On the courses, control locations are marked by pink, numbered streamers; as you get to the ones on your course, your proximity (and split time) will be recorded by the MapRun app running on your phone. No epunch needed!

More event information, including especially course setter notes and app links along with the registration link, can be found on the event webpage. We hope you get a chance to experience this new orienteering event format, and we look forward to hearing your feedback.