Topics

Routegadget

Daniel Heimgartner

Sidney A Sachs

 I am with Daniel Heimgartner 100% about using Route Gadget.  We are very lucky to have Greg Lennon and Valerie Meyer to maintain it for us.  After I set an event, I looked at each person route.  I once had 22 different people on the same leg,   They went 19 different ways!  I too think it is very important that everyone enter their course.   In fact, I already decided that for the 2017-18 point system, instead of getting five points for plotting your course, it will be double.  The reason for this is that less than 20% of the starts are plotted. The Brown and Green runners have the highest percentages.

Lately most of the routes are enter by downloading a GPS file.   I am asking if anyone is using an app on a cell phone to recorded your GPS  route and than have it download it to a computer in the format that RouteGadget could be use.  If so, please let us know how you do it.  That will make easier for us to find out what caused us to be mislocated!

Sidney Sachs

Craig Shelden

Sidney,

I use a free program called GPSLogger in my cell phone.  See web page here:  http://code.mendhak.com/gpslogger/

I think it is only available for Android.  I like it because it will save my track, recording positions at a periodicity I set (usually once a second) and it will also email the track periodically to an address I choose. The exported track format options I use include Google Earth .kml files and standard .gpx files. The .gpx files seem fine for Route Gadget, and since they are emailed to me, they are waiting in the PC when I get home, or in the phone if I'm really eager to see my mistakes ... er, my tracks.  GPS Logger initial set up was a bit finicky, but relatively straight forward.

For uploading to Route Gadget, I save the attached files, and then use RG's normal track upload procedure.  No special effort required.  The phone track almost always needs some tweaking for RG when compared to the watch, but it's pretty close.

For comparison, I'm attaching Jug Bay tracks from the phone .gpx file, the watch .gpx file and a Google Earth .kmz file showing both tracks.  The phone track is almost always sufficient for Route Gadget. The watch data is much smoother and probably reflects the difference between a vehicular navigation design accuracy and personal foot travel accuracy.  The phone is the choppy green track, the yellow is the smoother watch track.

Hope this helps!

All my best,

Craig