From: <pdickison@...>
To: <Quantico_Orienteering_Club@...>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 6:41 PM
Subject: [Quantico_Orienteering_Club] Orienteering: Have you heard this
radio ad?!

While multi-tasking the other day I had the radio on. Probably one of the
oldies stations. I was half-listening to the commercials, when one really
grabbed me. It was, I think (as I said, I only was half-tuned-in...) for
The
Homestead (upscale resort in VA, if you haven't heard of it). They said
something about ice skating, and golfing, then "or you can get lost and
found
orienteering"!! (quote isn't exact but you get the idea). First, I had no
idea they do any kind of orienteering there (and it worries me a bit,
wondering if they're doing compass & pace on a USGS -- anyone know?) and
second, WOW! They didn't mention hiking, or swimming, or anything else
mainstream, but orienteering! And no explanation of what it is, just that
little blurb.
Their website doesn't mention o', so either it's new or I heard the place
name wrong. But I've heard the commercial once since then, and they
absolutely mentioned orienteering.
Has anyone else heard this? What do you think?
(IMHO, this is another indication that we should definitely continue to
use
the word orienteering for all purposes...)