Topics

Training help needed at the Kings Landing High School Meet

Jon <djon@...>

Patuxent High School NJROTC unit will host an orienteering meet at Kings Landing Park, MD on Saturday October 26, 2002. A large number of novice High School students participate in this event each year. Historically speaking, there were 232 cadets competing last year and 222 the year before. I am hoping for about the same number this year. Of those, about 90-95% had zero experience and participated in the map walk/training run by QOC and the Naval Academy Orienteering team. We break them down in groups of about 10-12 and one trainer talks them through a 3 control map walk pointing out features, comparing it to the map, and generally getting them to the point of being able to do a white or yellow course.

The park gates open at 8:30 AM. We usually arrive about 8:00 AM ,hoping the park police open the gates a bit early. Almost everything will be set up the night before. Schools will start ariving at 8:30 AM (even though I asked them not to arrive early), and I would like to start training at 9:00 AM. I expect all training to be over by about 11:00 to 11:30 AM. Volunteers will be welcome to run any course after training is complete. (White through Brown will be offered) . Please send me an e-mail if you can help us with training.

I really appreciate your help. It should be a fun event and the cadets love you hear your orienteering stories!

Thanks,
Mike Dvorsky (patuxent-md.njrotc@...)

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Jon! Can you give me a name, phone#, e-mail to register 30 cadets for this?