Topics

Upcoming orienteering events and deadlines

Jon

With QOC taking a weekend off (two weekends, in fact, to avoid any conflict with the Susquehanna Stumble in NE Maryland on Sunday, October 8th), it seems a good time to remind people of upcoming orienteering events and associated registration deadlines, as follows:

- TODAY is the last day before late fees will apply to register for the October 13-15 Boulder Dash in New Hampshire.

- for the Stumble, Long or Short, pre-registration by email is requested by Thursday, October 5, as detailed on the QOC schedule as well as the SVO and DVOA web sites.  You can then pay on arrival at the event. There will be morning of registration with a $5 surcharge.

(BTW, if you plan on going to the Stumble and would like to get in on QOC carpooling there and back, drop me an email at jon.torrance@... and we'll see what can be organized.)

- for the first time since autumn of 2015, Bob Turbyfill will be teaching his Zero to Orange in Three Days course locally, with instruction and exercises on Oct 14-15 at Patuxent, final exam, written and practical, at Prince William on Oct 29.  Details are on the QOC web site.  Pre-registration will be required by Wednesday, October 11.  This is an intensive course on orienteering fundamentals so whether you're relatively new to the sport or have been around a while but feel you didn't get all the Orienteering 101 you could benefit from when you started out, this course will have something for you. (Note: if those dates don't work for you, don't despair, Bob plans on offering the course again in the spring.) Online registration will open this weekend.

- our neighbors to the north (NNE?), DVOA, will be hosting a national event on the first weekend of November in the area around Reading, PA. We're currently in the early registration period but only until midnight this Sunday, October 1! After Sunday, the price for the three race weekend (two sprints,one long distance) will go up by $12.  Then you'll have until Sunday, October 15 before late fees - another $15 - kick in.

- finally, our own national meet on the following weekend, the classic championships we'll be hosting on new orienteering terrain at Marine Corp Base Quantico from November 14-15 is currently in the standard registration period. Later registration fees of an additional $30 per adult will kick in after Saturday, October 14.

That just about covers the orienteering opportunities beyond regularly scheduled QOC events for the next couple of months.   So while you tend to non-orienteering life this weekend, dream of the orienteering adventures coming soon.  See you in the woods!

Erik Eddy

Thanks for spreading the word Jon!

All details for DVOA's National Event is here:

Best,
Erik Eddy
VP, DVOA